Upper School Process
Admission to Classes 8 and 9
To apply for entrance into Classes 8 and 9, you will need to begin the process in the fall prior to the desired year of enrollment. Admission to all other Upper School classes is dependent upon available space. Please contact the admissions office to inquire about openings.
- Applying to the Upper School
- Key Upper School Admissions Dates
- ISAAGNY Notification and Reply Dates
- Admissions Forms
- Application: Submit the online application and fee. Online applications should be submitted by December 1, 2018.
- School Visit: Once your completed application has been submitted, please wait for the admissions staff to call and schedule your visit. The visit includes a school tour, family information session and a student interview. Interviews and information sessions are held with a member of the admissions staff and/or the head of Upper School. School visits are scheduled for Monday through Friday and on one Saturday and one Sunday. NOTE: Visits are ONLY scheduled once applications are submitted. Please submit your application at your earliest convenience in order to be guaranteed an appointment.
- Chapin Testing: Candidates will return for Chapin admissions testing in mathematics and English. Once your completed application has been submitted, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office with directions on how to sign up for a Chapin admissions testing date.
- Standardized Testing: Take the Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) or the Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT).
Visit the Educational Records Bureau website to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 800.446.0320. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 333540. Or, visit the Secondary School Admission Test website here to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 609.683.4440. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 2285.
- School Reports: Please download a release of records form and submit to the staff at your daughter’s current school so that the school will send us her school report.*
- Letters of Recommendation: Chapin requires a total of two letters of recommendation: one English and one math. If your child has only one teacher for BOTH subjects, please provide an additional academic recommendation such as science, world language, or technology. Please note: These must be submitted directly to Chapin by the person writing the recommendation.
*All supporting application materials (including school reports and letters of recommendation) should be emailed to USadmissionsreports@chapin.edu.
Download PDF forms by clicking the links below.
*All supporting application materials (including school reports and letters of recommendation) should be either uploaded to the admissions portal or emailed to USadmissionsreports@chapin.edu.