Upper School Process
Admission to Classes 8 through 12
To apply for entrance into Classes 8 through 12, you will need to begin the process in the fall prior to the desired year of enrollment. We welcome applications for Classes 8 and 9. Admission to all other Upper School classes is dependent upon available space. Please contact the admissions office to inquire about openings.
- Application: Submit the online application and fee. Online applications should be submitted by December 1, 2017. Applications received after this date will only be considered depending on appointment availability.
- School Visit: Once your completed application has been submitted, please wait for the admissions staff to call and schedule your visit. The visit includes a school tour, family information session and a student interview. Interviews and information sessions are held with a member of the admissions staff and/or the head of Upper School. School visits are scheduled for Monday through Friday and on one Saturday and one Sunday. NOTE: Visits are ONLY scheduled once applications are submitted. Please submit your application at your earliest convenience in order to be guaranteed an appointment.
- Chapin Testing: Candidates will return for Chapin admissions testing in mathematics and English. Once your completed application has been submitted, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office with directions on how to sign up for a Chapin admissions testing date.
- Standardized Testing: Take the Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) or the Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT).
Visit the Educational Records Bureau website to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 800.446.0320. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 333540. Or, visit the Secondary School Admission Test website here to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 609.683.4440. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 2285.
- School Reports: Please download a release of records form and submit to the staff at your daughter’s current school so that the school will send us her school report.*
- Letters of Recommendation: Chapin requires a total of three letters of recommendation: two academic teachers (one English OR Math and one other academic subject such as history, humanities, science, world language, or technology) and one from another individual who knows the applicant well (ex: a teacher, counselor, religious leader, coach or advisor).*
*All supporting application materials (including school reports and letters of recommendation) should be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to (212) 628-2126.
- September 12, 2017: Upper School admissions appointments begin.
- October, 18, 2017 from 5:30-7:45 p.m.: Open House for families applying to Upper School. Applicant families only. Registration opens in September.
- November 12, 2017: Sunday admissions interviews & tours.
- December 1, 2017: Application submission deadline.
- January 10, 2018: Financial aid application deadline.
- January 15, 2018: Deadline for completion of ISEE/SSAT testing.
- February 6, 2018: Admissions decisions notification for Class 8.
- February 15, 2018: Admissions decisions notification for Classes 9 through 12.
- February 27, 2018: Parents' reply date for Class 8 (by noon).
- March 15, 2018: Parents' reply date for Classes 9 through 12 (by noon).