Upper School Process
Admission to Classes 8-10
To apply for entrance into Classes 8-10, you will need to begin the process in the fall prior to the desired year of enrollment. Please note that Chapin does not take applications to Classes 11 or 12.
1. Application: Submit the online application and fee through your Ravenna account. Applications should be submitted by December 1, 2023.
2. Student Questionnaire: This questionnaire allows the admissions committee to have a better understanding of our applicants. It is important to Chapin that students fill out this form independently. Please note: The student questionnaire should be submitted 72 hours prior to the student interview.
3. Tour: Students and their families will have the opportunity to visit Chapin and see the spaces where Middle and Upper School student life and learning take place. Tours are led by Chapin Admissions Student Ambassadors (CASA) and conclude with a brief Q&A with members of the Admissions Office.
4. Applicant Interview: The applicant interview is an important opportunity for the admissions committee to learn more about your child’s interests and for them to learn more about Chapin. Once your application is processed, you will be able to schedule an applicant interview for your child. Chapin prioritizes a student-centered experience and only offers a student interview.
5. Academic Assessment: Applicants to Classes 8-10 will take an in-person Chapin academic assessment in math and English. Standardized test scores, including the ISEE and SSAT, are not a component of the admission process at Chapin. Please do not send scores to the Admissions Office as it will not be included in the applicant file.
6. Character Skills Snapshot (CSS): Chapin requires the Character Skills Snapshot (CSS) to be completed by applicants for Classes 8-10. The CSS is administered through the Enrollment Management Association. Learn more about the CSS by clicking here. Families applying for tuition assistance may contact Kate Knight in the admissions office for a fee waiver.
7. Student Self-Expression: The Admissions Committee invites applicants to Classes 8-10 to share one example of their own self-expression as an element of the application process. Whatever you choose should be a reflection of who you are and should not be a piece created solely for the purpose of the admission. Our hope is that what you share will allow us to know you even better. Further details will be provided in Ravenna.
8. ISAAGNY Math and English Teacher Evaluation Forms: Chapin requires the ISAAGNY Mathematics Teacher Evaluation form from the student’s current classroom teacher(s). If the student has the same teacher for English and math, separate forms are still required to be submitted. Each form will be available on Ravenna.
9. Official School Records: Chapin requires school reports from the last two years, as well as the fall 2023 school report. These records should be sent directly to the Admissions Office from the applicant’s current school. The Transcript Release Form will be available on Ravenna.
10. Meet the Head of Upper School: All parent(s)/guardian(s) will hear from Head of Upper School Allison Bishop and a student panel about our curriculum and student life.
11. Tuition Assistance: Families who intend to apply for tuition assistance can find further information on our Affording Chapin page.
*Required supporting materials may be found on Ravenna.
- August 21, 2023: Online application is available on Ravenna
- September 1, 2023: Online application for tuition assistance is available on School and Student Services (SSS)
- October 2, 2023: Upper School admissions appointments begin
- December 1, 2023: Application submission deadline
- December 1, 2023: Financial aid application deadline
- January 7, 2024: Saturday admissions interviews and tours
- January 11, 2024: Deadline for completion of CSS testing
- January 11, 2024: Deadline for all supporting materials. (Please note: An exception may be made for public schools.)
- February 13, 2024: Admissions decision notification after 4:00 p.m. (Class 8)
- March 4, 2024: Parent reply deadline by noon (Class 8)
- February 23, 2024: Admissions decision notification after 4:00 p.m. (Classes 9 and 10)
- March 14, 2024: Parent reply deadline by noon (Classes 9 and 10)