Middle School Process
Admission to Classes 4 through 7
To apply for entrance into the Middle School, you will need to begin the process in the fall prior to the desired year of enrollment. We welcome applications for Classes 6 and 7. Please contact the admissions office directly to inquire about possible openings to Classes 4 and 5. Families interested in Classes 4 and 5 are invited to complete our online Inquiry Form.
- Applying to the Middle School
- Key Middle School Admission Dates
- ISAAGNY Notification and Reply Dates
- Admissions Forms
- Application: Submit the online application and fee. Online applications should be submitted by December 1, 2018.
- School Visit: Once your completed application has been submitted, please wait for the admissions team to call and schedule your visit. The visit includes a school tour, family information session and a student interview. Interviews and information sessions are held with a member of the admissions team and/or the head of Middle School. School visits are scheduled from September through early January (Monday through Friday) and on one Saturday in October.
- Chapin Testing: Candidates will return for Chapin admissions testing in mathematics and English. Once your completed application has been submitted, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office with directions on how to sign up for a Chapin admissions testing date.
- Standardized Testing: Take the
Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) or the Secondary School
Admission Test (SSAT).
Visit the Educational Records Bureau website to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 800.446.0320. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 333540. Or, visit the Secondary School Admission Test website here to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 609.683.4440. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 2285.
- Official School Reports: Submit forms to your daughter’s current school. Please download a release of records form and submit to the staff at your daughter’s current school so that the school will send us her school report.*
of Recommendation: Chapin requires a total of two letters
of recommendation: one English and one math. If your child has only one teacher for BOTH subjects, please use the General Recommendation Form to provide the second academic recommendation from a class such as science, world language, or technology. Please note: These must be submitted directly to Chapin by the person writing the recommendation.
*All supporting application materials (including school reports and letters of recommendation) should be emailed to MSadmissionsreports@chapin.edu or faxed to (212) 628-2126.
- September 20, 2018: Middle School admissions appointments begin.
- October 27, 2018: Saturday admissions interviews and tours
- December 1, 2018: Application submission deadline.
- December 1, 2018: Financial aid application deadline.
- January 15, 2019: Deadline for completion of ISEE/SSAT testing.
- January 28, 2019: Deadline for all supporting materials. (Please note: an exception may be made for public schools.)
Download PDF forms by clicking the links below.
*All supporting application materials (including school reports and letters of recommendation) should be either uploaded to the admissions portal or emailed to MSadmissionsreports@chapin.edu or faxed to (212) 628-2126.
- Release of Records Form (Middle School)
- General Recommendation Form (for Grade 6 Applicants)
- General Recommendation Form (For Applicants to Grades 5 and 7 through 9)
- English Recommendation Form (for Grades 6-9)
- Mathematics Recommendation Form (for Grades 6-9)