Welcome to Chapin’s community resource page for the school’s current building project. In order to better support our educational goals, we are expanding our school’s programmatic space. We hope you’ll read more about this in our Academic Mission section below. This page will be updated when new information is available, so please check back regularly.
Questions or comments are welcome and may be directed to our community contact number, 212.606.3225, or to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. These inquiries will be answered as soon as possible. (Other non-emergency reports should be directed to 311 and emergencies to 911.)
DATE: The date of Chapin’s next Community Construction Committee (CCC) meeting will be February 1, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.
Interior shear wall work
- Interior deconstruction and debris removal
- Interior mechanical systems: electrical, plumbing and heating
- Material deliveries (lumber, steel rebar, concrete)
- Concrete deliveries and pumping
- Interior finish restoration
Please click HERE for meeting notes from the December 19, 2016 Community Construction Committee Meeting.
Chapin held monthly Community Construction Committee (CCC) meeting from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. for neighbors on the following dates in 2016:
- March 14, April 26, May 31, June 29, July 26, August 30, September 27, October 26, November 29 & December 19.
- Chapin appeared before the NYC Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) on Tuesday, September 1, 2015.
- Chapin appeared before the NYC Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) on Tuesday, July 14, 2015.
- The Chapin School and Manhattan Community Board 8 invites neighbors to Chapin for an informational meeting on Thursday evening, June 4, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. regarding the interior work currently underway to improve Chapin’s food service areas in the school’s basement. This work is independent of the proposed expansion project now under review by the NYC Board of Standards and Appeals.
- Chapin presented its application before the NYC Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) on Tuesday, May 12.
- Click HERE to view a May 29, 2015 letter posted in buildings and sent to neighbors who have provided their email addresses to Chapin.
- Click HERE to view a letter sent May 15, 2015 to neighbors who have provided their email addresses to Chapin.
- The information and slides below were shared at the community meeting held for neighbors at Chapin the evening of Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Click HERE for a project overview.
Click HERE for a diagram of the construction area.
Click HERE for May 2015-January 2016 logistics and 84th Street protection.
Click HERE for additional logistical information related to summer work.
Click HERE for a diagram of the covered pedestrian walkway on 84th Street.
- Click HERE to view a letter distributed to neighbors on April 22, 2015.
- Click HERE to view a letter distributed to neighbors on March 13, 2015.
The Chapin School prepares a diverse and talented community of young women to thrive and lead in a global society through its dedication to academic excellence, personal integrity and community responsibility. Chapin cultivates in each student a love of learning, independent thinking, emotional resilience and a dedication to serving others.
Under One Roof
Miss Chapin’s extraordinary foresight in establishing our 100 East End Avenue location in 1928 has allowed Chapin’s leadership to plan renovations that meet our girls’ evolving needs while keeping the entire school together in this historic location—a rarity in New York City.
Charting our Path
For several years now, with the input of faculty, parents, alumnae and students, our planning groups have explored programmatic needs and associated space requirements in these areas:
- Music and the performing arts
- Athletics, fitness and play
- Flexible classrooms and experiential learning
- Student support
- Professional Community support
In addition, we have responded to our January 2014 NYSAIS reaccreditation report, which encouraged us to evaluate our facilities to ensure they reflect and support the aspirations of our current strategic plan, the focus of which is teaching and learning.
Based on this work, the school has created a plan that envisions the following enhancements to the Chapin footprint:
- Additional dining space to better accommodate our K–12 student population
- Adding a regulation-size gymnasium, rooftop turf practice field and fitness center to meet team requirements, better integrate play and exercise into our girls’ day-to-day routines and accommodate community gatherings
- Establishing facilities for an expanded Performing Arts program
- New flexible classrooms, a design studio and "maker" spaces that will promote collaboration, flexibility and research
This plan focuses on ensuring that students have access to the resources they need to succeed. Please click HERE to view a schematic drawing of the current plan. Click HERE to see photographic representations of how the building might look upon completion.
To make these changes, Chapin applied to the NYC Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) for approval. As a first step, Chapin appeared before Community Board 8 on January 14, 2015, in a public hearing on our application. We look forward to continuing to work with our neighbors and participating in the BSA’s public review process.
BSA approval will give us the flexibility to undertake renovations during the next several years. While we’re still working on many specifics, we intend to begin construction in the summer of 2015.