Upper School Process
Admissions to Classes 8 through 12
To apply for entrance into Classes 8 through 12, you will need to begin the process in the fall prior to the desired year of enrollment. We welcome applications for Classes 8 and 9. Admission to all other Upper School classes is dependent upon available space. Please contact the admissions office to inquire about openings.
How to apply to the Upper School
- Application: Submit the online
application and fee.
Online applications should be submitted by December 1, 2017. Applications received after this date will only be considered depending on appointment availability.
- School Visit: Once your completed application has been submitted, please wait for the admissions staff to call and schedule your visit. The visit includes a school tour, family information session and a student interview. Interviews and information sessions are with a member of the admissions staff and/or the head of Upper School. School visits are scheduled for Monday through Friday and on one Saturday and one Sunday. NOTE: Visits are ONLY scheduled once applications are submitted. Please submit your application at your earliest convenience in order to be guaranteed an appointment.
- Chapin Testing: Candidates will return for Chapin admissions testing in mathematics and English. Once your completed application has been submitted, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office with directions on how to sign up for a Chapin admissions testing date.
- Standardized Testing: Take the
Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) or the Secondary School
Admission Test (SSAT).
Visit the Educational Records Bureau website to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 800.446.0320. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 333540. Or, visit the Secondary School Admission Test website here to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 609.683.4440. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 2285.
- School Reports: Submit
forms to your daughter’s current school.
Please download a release of records form and submit to the staff at your daughter’s current school so that the school will send us her school report.
- Letters of Recommendation: Chapin requires a letter of recommendation from two academic teachers (English or Math and one other academic subject) and one from another individual who knows the applicant well ex: a teacher, counselor, religious leader, coach or advisor.
Key Upper School admission dates
- September 12, 2017: Upper School admissions appointments begin
- September 28, 2017: LGBTQ Single Sex School Fair from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Allen-Stevenson School.
- October 18, 2017: Open House for families applying to Upper School. 5:30-7:45 p.m. Applicant families only. Registration opens in September.
- November 12, 2017: Sunday admissions interviews and tours
- December 1, 2017: Application submission deadline
- January 10, 2018: Financial aid application deadline
- January 15, 2018: Deadline for completion of ISEE/SSAT testing
- January 20, 2018: Saturday admissions interviews and tours
- February 6, 2018: Admissions decisions notification for Class 8
- February 15, 2018: Admissions decisions notification for Classes 9 through 12
- February 27, 2018: Parents' reply date for Class 8 (by noon)
- March 15, 2018: Parents' reply date for Classes 9 through 12 (by noon)