Timeline


Scroll through Chapin history using the slider or arrows below.


2015

Chapin's marks the 90th anniversary of the Board of Trustees.

2014

Chapin marks the 100th anniversary of the Alumnae Association.

2013

Dr. Patricia Hayot celebrates her 10th year as Head of School.

September marks the 150th anniversary of Miss Chapin's birth.

2011

Chapin launches a new website, made possible by generous financial support from the parents of the Class of 2011.

2010

Chapin introduces its five-year strategic plan, Focus Forward.

2008

Completion and dedication of new facilities.

2006

The School begins renovation and construction at 100 East End Avenue, including the addition of two floors, a new arts center, new science center and new world language lab.

2005

The School announces its strategic plan to improve four areas: faculty support, financial aid, academic programs and physical facilities.

2003

Dr. Patricia T. Hayot becomes Chapin’s sixth Head of School.

2001

The Chapin School celebrates its Centennial.

1998

New facilities, including the Annenberg Center for Learning and Research, are completed and dedicated.

1993

Mrs. Berendsen retires after 44 years at Chapin.

Sandra J. Theunick is appointed Head of School.

1990

Major construction and renovation in main and wing buildings is completed.

1985

Chapin students participate in the Model United Nations conference at Harvard for the first time.

1976

The first edition of Limelight, the student newspaper, is published.

1973

The Chapin-Brearley Academic Exchange is established, permitting girls in both schools to take courses offered by Chapin or Brearley.

1972

Renovation of the Ethel Grey Stringfellow Wing is completed.

The Ethel Grey Stringfellow Library is dedicated.

1971

The Interschool Program is established to provide expanded opportunities for students in curricular and extracurricular areas.

1970

Students form the Multi-Media Club and go out to report from the street with a videotape machine.

Miss Stringfellow dies.

1969

The school purchases the adjacent building, at 535 East 84th Street, to be known as the Ethel Grey Stringfellow Wing.

The Parents' Association is formed.

1968

Annual prizes for creative writing, known as the Margaret Emerson Bailey Memorial Awards, are established.

1963

Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy ’47 invites Chapin alumnae to visit the White House.

1959

Miss Stringfellow retires after 50 years at Chapin.

Mildred Jeanmaire Berendsen becomes Headmistress.

1947

Students form a Current Events Club, including a debating society.

1942

Most Club Nights are devoted to activities to advance the war effort.

1937

One hundred people attend the first alumnae luncheon at the school on April 21, 1937.

1935

Miss Fairfax dies and Miss Stringfellow becomes Headmistress.

Author Pearl S. Buck comes to Chapin to speak at News about the situation of women in China.

1934

The name of the school is changed to The Chapin School, Ltd.

Miss Chapin dies.

1933

Older girls are able to attend concerts, lectures, operas and plays in the afternoons.

1932

Miss Chapin retires.

Ethel Grey Stringfellow becomes Joint Headmistress with Miss Fairfax.

1928

The School moves to a new building at 100 East End Avenue.

1925

The School is incorporated as Miss Chapin's School, Ltd. Twenty-three diplomas are awarded.

The enrollment is 319 students.

1924

The School orchestra makes its first appearance and provides music for a school dancing competition at Club Night.

1920

The Dramatic Club forms and presents Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night as its first play.

1917

The first issue of The Wheel, Chapin's literary magazine, is printed.

Margaret Henderson Bailie ’13 becomes the first Chapin alumna to graduate from college.

1914

The Alumnae Association is formed by Miss Chapin to do war and welfare work.

1913

Mary Cecelia Fairfax becomes Associate Headmistress.
The first formal Commencement is held.

1912

Students write the school song around this time, with help from music teacher Mrs. Cartwright.

1911

The Athletic Association is formed.

1910

The School moves to 32 and 34 East 57 Street.

1909

Self-government begins.

1908

Charlotte Harding and Sylvia Holt receive the first Chapin diplomas.

1906

Miss Chapin sets up science laboratories in the basement of the East 58th Street building.

1905

The School moves to two townhouses at 46 and 48 East 58th Street.

1904

A carpentry class is started at the School.

1903

Elocution and penmanship are important parts of the curriculum.

1902

Mary Cecelia Fairfax joins Miss Chapin's faculty.

1901

Maria Bowen Chapin establishes Miss Chapin's School at 12 West 47 Street with seven teachers and 78 students.

100 East End Avenue

New York, NY 10028

212.744.2335

www.chapin.edu
email page print page small type default type large type
powered by finalsite