Middle School Process
Admission to Classes 4 through 7
To apply for entrance into Classes 4 through 7, you will need to begin the process in the fall prior to the desired year of enrollment. We welcome applications for Classes 6 and 7. Admission to Classes 4 and 5 is dependent upon available space. Please contact the admissions office to inquire about openings.
- Application: Submit the online application and fee. Online applications should be submitted by December 1, 2017. Applications received after this date will only be considered depending on appointment availability.
- School Visit: Once your completed application has been submitted, please wait for the admissions staff to call and schedule your visit. The visit includes a school tour, family information session and a student interview. Interviews and information sessions are held with a member of the admissions staff and/or the head of Middle School. School visits are scheduled for Monday through Friday and on two Saturdays.
- Chapin Testing: Candidates will return for Chapin admissions testing in mathematics and English. Once your completed application has been submitted, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office with directions on how to sign up for a Chapin admissions testing date.
- Standardized Testing: Take the
Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) or the Secondary School
Admission Test (SSAT).
Visit the Educational Records Bureau website to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 800.446.0320. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 333540. Or, visit the Secondary School Admission Test website here to arrange a test date. You can also call the testing center at 609.683.4440. Be sure to request that test results be sent to The Chapin School (NY). Our school code is 2285.
- School Reports: Submit forms to your daughter’s current school. Please download a release of records form and submit to the staff at your daughter’s current school so that the school will send us her school report.*
of Recommendation: Chapin requires a total of three letters
of recommendation: two academic teachers (one English OR Math and one other academic
subject such as history, humanities, science, world language, or technology) and one from another individual who knows the applicant well (ex: a teacher, counselor, religious
leader, coach or advisor).*
*All supporting application materials (including school reports and letters of recommendation) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (212) 628-2126.
- September 12, 2017: Middle School admissions appointments begin.
- November 12, 2017: Sunday admissions interviews and tours
- December 1, 2017: Application submission deadline.
- January 10, 2018: Financial aid application deadline.
- January 15, 2018: Deadline for completion of ISEE/SSAT testing.
- January 20, 2018: Saturday Admissions interviews & tours.
- February 6, 2018: Admissions decisions notification.
- February 27, 2018: Parents' reply date (by noon).